Monday, December 12, 2005

Q: How do I change the default view that comes up when I first start SmartView Tracker?

A:
SmartView tracker is the Windows application which is used to watch the firewall logs. When it first starts up, a default view is loaded. This default view has "resolve names" turned on, so I immediately have to go in and turn it off each time I start Tracker, but by then Tracker has already tried to look up a few names (including, perhaps, names of attackers that have been dropped by firewall rules, thus alerting them if they are watching their DNS logs). I have not found a way to edit the default view, so that name resolution is turned off. If you know a way, please leave a comment, and I'll incorporate it in this FAQ. TIA Update: a comment pointed me to Checkpoint SecureKnowledge article sk30141. Based on that article, I here's how to do it: Your queries are stored in your program PC's program files directory (C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\SmartConsole\R55\PROGRAM or whatever). Each query is a file named #.vd. Query 0.vd is the default one you see when you start Tracker. So to make your favorite search the default, go into Tracker and modify it slightly, save it, then exit Tracker. Sort the programs directory by date and look for the #.vd you just modified; rename it 0.vd. Next time you start tracker, it will be the default.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check Point SecureKnowledge article sk30140 explains how to do this.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home